1 tablespoon cornflour
• 6 eggwhites
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 1/3 cups xylitol (found in our online shop)
• ½ cup freshly ground hazelnuts (can be omitted)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon white vinegar
• 200ml pure cream, whipped
• Mixed fresh berries or 250g frozen raspberries, slightly mashed, if out of season
• Extra xylitol to sprinkle on berries.
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Draw a 24cm (diameter) circle on a sheet of baking paper. Place, pencil-side down, on a baking tray. Dust lightly with 1 teaspoon cornflour.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites and cream of tartar in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Add xylitol, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until thick and glossy. Add remaining 3 teaspoons cornflour with the last tablespoon of xylitol.
3. Fold through Hazelnuts, vanilla and vinegar
4. Spoon meringue onto baking paper. Shape into a circle, using the pencil mark as a guide, with a slightly higher edge and a low centre.
5. Reduce oven to 100°C. Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until dry and crisp. Turn off oven and open oven door. Cool completely in oven (pavlova may sink during cooling).
To serve slide pavlova onto a serving plate. Spread with whipped cream and decorate with berries. Serve and enjoy!